It is a time of madness and horror. The Mortal Realms writhe in the grip of the Chaos Gods, whose murderous champions fight furiously to extinguish the last lights of hope. But above, the heavens roar and the sky itself is rent by searing bolts – the Stormcast Eternals, glorious warriors of celestial light, have arrived to turn back the tide of Khorne’s murderous Bloodbound. The war has begun in earnest.
Thunder and Blood is the newest starter set announced by Games Workshop , containing everything you need to start playing games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar. It contains 44 Easy To Build miniatures from both the Khorne Bloodbound and Stormcast Eternals armies, supplied in red and gold plastic – these are a great introduction to the wider world of Citadel miniatures as a whole. Included:
– 2 units of 5 Liberators each armed with Warhammers and Sigmarite Shields, including a Liberator-Prime;
– 3 Prosecutors armed with Celestial Hammers, including a Prosecutor-Prime;
– 3 Retributors armed with Lightning Hammers, including a Retributor-Prime;
– 1 Lord Relictor armed with Relic Hammer;
– 2 units of 10 Bloodreavers each armed with Reaver Blades, including a Chieftain and Icon Bearer;
– 5 Blood Warriors armed with Goreaxes and Gorefists, including a Chaos Champion;
– 1 Khorgorath;
– 1 Bloodstoker armed with Torture Blade and Blood Whip.
Of course, you’ll need rules and guidance in order to play games with your new miniatures – included is a 96-page softback book, packed with background and essential information on painting and playing:
– An easy to follow guide to setting up and playing games of Warhammer Age Of Sigmar, including the basic rules of movement, spellcasting and attacking, with notes and annotations explaining exactly how each phase works;
– 4 Battleplans – these are scenarios that feature the included miniatures, with special instructions for setting them up, each re-creating a specific battle from the rich history of the struggle to dominate the Mortal Realms – these increase in scale from the initial few miniatures to finally fielding every one of the 44 included, easing you into larger and larger battles;
– 8 Warscrolls – these contain the rules for individual miniatures, explaining how far they move, how strong their attacks are and any special abilities they may have;
– Overview and background of the Age of Sigmar, with guides to the Mortal Realms and a history of the battles between Chaos and Order that are tearing them apart;
– Simple, easy to follow guides (4 steps each!) to painting a Stormcast Eternals Liberator and a Khorne Bloodbound Blood Warrior;
– Uniform guides to 6 Stormcast Eternals and 6 Khorne Bloodbound factions – these are designed to be inspirational rather than necessarily followed to the letter, making your collection unique;
– Guides to and explanations of the various types of Citadel brushes – what they’re used for, and how to take care of them;
– Guides to the various techniques used to paint miniatures – undercoating, basecoating, shading, drybrushing, layering and glazing are covered, with explanations of each technique and practical examples showing you their effects on; – Methods for creating evocative bases for your miniatures to stand on;
– An explanation of Technical paints, and their use in creating special effects like blood and rust;
The set also contains a double-sided gaming mat, representing different areas of the Mortal Realms, 6 dice, a measuring stick, a rules reference card and a Stormcast Eternals transfer sheet: even the internal box tray doubles up as a scenery piece!