Tabletop gamers are living in an almost golden age. Board gaming and war-gaming are more popular than ever. It seems that there are new KickStarters launching daily that are regularly attracting 7 figure backing. There is, however, a downside to this. Most of the “big” KickStarters seem to come with an ever more complex, yet dazzling array of miniatures just for their game.
So what makes The Genesys Project different from all of the rest?
Many years ago Gary Krieger had a vision of a set of rules that allowed total customization of a player’s faction. A set of rules that would allow you to go to the back of your miniatures pile and pull out those rare, beautiful miniatures that you were never able to really play. The Genesys Project allows you to put those miniatures on the tabletop and have them play how you always imagined they should.
The other things that define The Genesys Project are the sheer amount of time that has gone into creating, refining and polishing the rule set. Almost 1000 play testers have spent the past 6 years working on this project. Gary has also teamed up with gaming legend Dave Taylor, of Dave Taylor Miniatures, to ensure that only the highest quality product goes live for the Kick Starter. Dave has over 25 years experience in the gaming industry and is known for his expertise in layout, publishing and distribution. Gary and Dave have also assembled a supporting cast of some of the best miniature producers in the business:
Verge of War
Northstar Military Figures
About the Game
I was lucky enough to receive the promo rules from Gary and have to say the rules are both extensive whilst being easy to follow. The promo rules sample only covers some of the options available for the Humanoid faction. Even with these I really couldn’t find a combination of traits, attributes or abilities that wouldn’t allow me to field a unit built exactly the way I wanted it to be.
The game will be set across 3 Ages which all use the same, core set of rules.
1. The Birth of Genesys- 1st Age -Fantasy, Medieval, Early Renaissance
2. The Wars of Genesys- 2nd Age -Modern to Near Future
3. The Terminus of Genesys- 3rd Age -Far Distant Future
There are 5 core factions to use as starting points for your unique army and they are:
1. Humanoids – Right and Wrong, Good versus Evil are a large part of the Humanoid drive to conquer and subject other species to their will.
2. Fey – The Fey are Immortal and not of this world. They exist outside of reality, originating from beyond the Ethereal.
3. Reptilia are cold blooded, brutal and incapable of empathy. Their intellect is savage and cunning.
4. Biest – They are as wild as is the lands they inhabit, savage and brutal, driven to war at the slightest provocation.
5. The Insekt comprise a multitude of forms and variation specialized for their purpose of feeding, propagation, and evolutionary progress.
The KickStarter, which launches at 5pm BST today will be for the Birth of Genesys the 1st Age. However, anyone who pledges within the first 48 hours will receive the bonus PDF “From the Rocks – The Primitive Age”.
If you have ever wanted to be able to create your own army, exactly the way you imagined, then this may well be the KickStarter for you.
Finally, if you want a more detailed look at The Genesys Project click here.
As always make sure to follow our Facebook page for the latest tabletop news!